All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Saturday, 3 December 2011

More Mycenaeans

Mycenaean Chariot and chariot runners - Old Glory chariot and Redoubt chariot runners



I've made slow progress with my Mycenaean army so far and have only finished a chariot and some archers in recent weeks. Here are a few photos of these figures. Painting chariots and putting them together is usually quite fiddly and time consuming - I'm working on another three at the moment. I'm also finding progress with the spearmen slow and looking at the Mycenaean list in the Hail Caesar Army Lists: Biblical and Classical (p.16) I think I'll opt for mixed units of spear and bow. There is 75% + requirement for non-skirmisher infantry (ie medium infantry) and chariot units really do need screening and support from a small unit of chariot runners. I've got quite a few photos of Minoan/Mycenaean sites we've visited in Crete and Greece in 2009, including Knossos, Phaistos, Agia Triada, Mycenae and Tiryns, so I'll include some of these in future posts.



Mycenaean archers - Foundry and Redoubt figures

19 comments:

  1. Nice work! I'm happy to read your snippet about Mycenaean lists from the new HC supplement. I had the main book, but haven't picked up the supplement - saving my $$ for the Black Powder Nap. supplement when it comes out. Sounds like there is an option for mixed spear-bow units. I liked the WAB rule for this. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean. I used to play WAB and really liked the Chariot Wars supplement but prefer Hail Caesar
    overall now.

    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking figures and inspiration for myself as I am just starting an Impetus army from this period.

    Cheers

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely Mike,

    more chariots, you are making it hard for me not to build another chariot army!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rodger, Ross and Matt. It's an interesting period and you can never have too many chariots!

    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff. Great basing as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought I commented, but if I didn't then I should have. Nice looking army! Any plans to build some scenery to go with it?

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christopher. I have a really nice Late Bronze Age city made by Grand Manner so I'll paint that up and use that with the army at some stage.

    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. The figures look great the bases really set them off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Willie, I like sandy coloured bases they contrast well with figures.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks it's very kind of you! Your Mycenaeans are the best I've seen.

    Cheers

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these Mike, its good to know that Old Glory and Redoubt mix well together. I painted my first Redoubt Trojan skirmishers and chariot last week. Once I have some more done, I plan a new blog focusing on the Trojan War. Northstar are just about to release some 28mm Sea People that will be useful for both sides.

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gareth, Andres of Einar Olafson Painting has some amazing Redoubt Mycenaeans on his blog if you search around, definitely worth checking out! Yeah I saw those Steve Saleh figures they look great. I'll look forward to your new blog. I love Biblical gaming there are so many great armies to collect.

    I bought some second hand figures you painted earlier this year. Mix of Foundry and Companion Marian Romans just wanted to say you did a great job on them.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike, those Companion/Foundry Romans are well travelled as I painted them for a chap Oz.

    Anders' Mycenaeans are first rate, I will certainly be using them as a point of reference. I can also recommend, The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly. Loads of great colour illustrations (many of the Redoubt miniatures were sculpted from examples in this book).

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gareth that's who I bought them off - I'm in Oz too.

    Yeah that's a great book I have it. There are a few recent Ospreys that are OK as well.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike, its a small world.

    Anyway, I will look forward to seeing more of your Mycenaeans.

    Regards,
    Gareth

    ReplyDelete