All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Persian Sparabara and Archers







Here are some photos of Early Achaemenid Persian sparabara and archers. The figures are from the plastic Persian infantry set by Wargames Factory which can be used to make either Early or Late Achaemenid Persian infantry. They paint up suprisingly well, are a bit fiddly to put together but nevertheless are quite nice figures. The Persian cavalry set are if anything even better and I'm painting some at the moment and will post photos in due course. Warlord Games are bringing out plastic Persian infantry at some stage and I can't wait for these! Their Macedonian phalangites are the best plastic ancient set produced to date in my opinion.

While painting the Persians, instead of using my usual Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone which is petroleum based, very stinky and takes at least overnight to dry, I tried out the new acrylic Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone ink which does the same thing but comes in a 18ml bottle for $5 but dries in five minutes. The results were good and anything that speeds up painting units is a real plus. Army Painter also make acrylic ink versions of Soft Tone and Dark Tone.

Yesterday in the mail I got my pre-order of Northern Fury, the new Saga supplement. It looks really good with an excellent free Scottish Warlord. I've read the whole supplement (it is only tweny one pages) and it has great photos and four new battle boards for each faction. I also ordered the new Scottish dice which are very nice with Pictish symbols. The Wooden Oaths multi-player scenario sounds like a lot of fun. There is a Saga night on tomorrow night at Good Games in the deep south of Canberra but unfortunately I won't be able to make it.

My blog has had its first April Fools' day birthday so I'd like to thank everyone who has followed, commented or visited over the last year. I hope you all have a great Easter break.







8 comments:

  1. I have never been that impressed with Wargames Factory figures but having seen the way these are painted up I might have to reconsider. You have done an excellent job on these and they would make a good advert for the company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SIlver Whistle. I've never really been a fan of their figures either but both the Persian infantry and cavalry are suprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice paint job! I've never tried the AP ink and so I'll need to give that a go for sure!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christopher, it works well I can't tell the difference but dries in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent unit, love the red shields. Did not know of the acrylic AP ink but I will try that one out..Thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mike. The new AP ink is pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These surprising good. How do you varnish after using the ink strong tone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Colin. I just use my normal varnish - anti-shine matt varnish or Testors Dullcote if it's high humidity. It saves on all the drying time and the smell of normal AP!

    ReplyDelete