All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Thursday, 1 August 2013

Republican Roman Cavalry












Here are a few photos of some Gripping Beast, Republican Roman cavalry that I have just finished. They are a 'small unit' in the Hail Caesar army list (pp. 53-54), like most of the Republican Roman units. We have a Seleucid Successors versus Republican Roman game lined up in a couple of weeks and none of us have used the Republican Romans in Hail Caesar before. While even on points, on paper the Seleucids seem to be a vastly stronger and more numerous army, but we will see how the 'triplex acies' of the Romans performs under these rules.


I just got my copy of Ronin in the mail today. These are Craig's new Samurai skirmish rules, that I mentioned in my last post. They look really good, with the same format and quality as Dux Bellorum and the usual high standards from Osprey publishing. I can't wait for the Northstar Samurai figures to arrive!












16 comments:

  1. These guys do look really nice! I am curious to see how they do in your game.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, it will be interesting to see how the whole Republican Roman army goes against the Seleucids!

      Mike

      Delete
  2. The small, heavy units of the Republican Roman army make for a very nasty opponent. Its very easy for the Romans to get a 2 on 1 situation & quickly grind down enemy heavy units. The 'triplex acies' is a bit much to pull of, but a 'double acies' fits right into the standard HC combat rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear the small units are good at grinding down enemy heavy infantry! It will be interesting to see how they go against the Seleucids.

      Mike

      Delete
  3. Thanks Moiterei, three divisions a side with pike vs pila, should be a fun game.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking fellows, Cyrus! As long as they don't have to go up against Numidian horsemen, I think they'll serve you well. I've never tried HC so I'm curious to hear your report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monty, I don't think they will be much chop against Seleucid cataphracts but we will see how they go.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking cave. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look really great. I'm looking forward to adding some cavalry to my own Republican army after I knock out a few more infantry units. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jonathan, you can't go wrong with the Aventine figures. I'm doing some Tarentine LC at the moment, just brilliant figures.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely looking unit Mike. Looking forward to see what you do with the Samurai.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Pat, I'm really looking forward to painting them.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete