All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Thursday, 12 February 2015

First Game of Lion Rampant - Normans versus Normans




Rick's Norman retinue right flank

Rick's Norman retinue left flank

My Normans

View of the table

A straight road for a Bloodbath scenario!

Bidowers and Foot Yeoman advance

Crossbowmen and Foot Yeomen advance


Last Tuesday night I went over to Rick's place and we played our first game of Lion Rampant with two identical Norman retinues of 24 points. I had read the rules once while Rick hadn't so there was a quite a bit of consultation as we played but it seemed pretty straightforward to pick and after a few turns we were getting through our turns and unit activations fairly easily. The 2 D6 activations work in a similar manner to orders in Hail Caesar so that once you have failed your roll that is it for you turn and it is over to the other player. Certain activations are easier for different troop types, for example Mounted Men-at-Arms will attack on a roll of 5 but need a 7 just to move, while Foot Yeoman will move on a 5 but need a 6 to attack.

Rick advanced with his Foot Yeomen, Crossbowmen and Bidowers and after failing to do anything for the first couple of turns I finally managed to get my Mounted Men-at-Arms to attack them. Suffering casualties and failing their respective courage tests his Foot Yeomen and Crossbowmen beat a hasty retreat. Rick then attacked with his Mounted Men-at-Arms. If both sides suffered  casualties they had to take a courage test and the side which suffered the most had to retreat. If it was a draw the attacker retreated. I then issued a challenge to a duel for his leader which he accepted. This involved rolling 3 D6 with hits on 5 and 6 and the leader who scored the most hits was victorious and his opponent dead. Neither of us scored any hits so the duel was a draw and we resumed to slogging it out between the Mounted Men-at Arms.

At this stage my Mounted Men-at Arms units were getting whittled away and Rick issued a challenge to a duel to me.You can only issue a challenge once a game. My fearless leader accepted and was promptly killed which lead to a courage test and the remaining troops in the unit fleeing the table. My other unit of Mounted Men-at Arms was down to half strength and it was not long before they too fled the table. Thanks to Rick for a fun game which we both enjoyed despite muddling through with only a single set of the rules. First impressions of Lion Rampant is that it is a fast, fun set of rules that is easy to pick but that has a definite Medieval feel and rewards historical play.




My Mounted Men-at-Arms force his foot to retreat

Mounted Men-at-Arms attack

Leaders fight a duel which ends badly for me!


Mounted Men-at Arms attack on the right 


Fighting at half strength things look bad!


My Mounted Men-at-Arms flee the table in rout

18 comments:

  1. Nice looking game Cyrus! I need to try them someday.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, they're a fun set of rules hope to play more games.

      Mike

      Delete
  2. Nice pics and great looking game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - the Normans one the day!

      Mike

      Delete
  3. Interesting as my son is starting to look further into periods

    Looking forward to more reports
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, they are fun and very popular at the moment.

      Mike

      Delete
  4. Very nice looking game. Is it ok for me to put a link to this post on to the (semi-official) Lion Rampant forum?

    http://duxrampant.yuku.com/

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, that is fine no problem. We both enjoyed the game and I'll check out the forum.

      Mike

      Delete
  5. Had my first go at these last week. They are going to be compared to Saga due to crossover of periods and size of forces but they are a very different beast. I found them good fun and pacey - rather like a scaled down version of Hail Caesar in fact. Me and my regular opponent have already agreed to another game, not least as I thrashed him 9 points to -3! Rematch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AKI I agree that they are very different beast to Saga and rather like a scaled down version of HC. Sounds like a rematch is definitely in order! I hope to play more games soon.

      Mike

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the post. This game keeps popping up in my circle of blogs and I'll have to get it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - it is a fun set of skirmish rules and is deservedly popular.

      Mike

      Delete
  7. Great post Cyrus! Our group is looking at these rules, for both El Cid Spain and Great Italian Wars. Great looking photos and figures.
    Cheers
    PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they are a lot of fun and a good thing is Saga factions are pretty much the same size so you can use your figures for both sets of rules.

      Mike

      Delete
  8. Great looking game and figs, Mike. The total number for a Warband and Retinue are close so makes the use for both SAGA and LR nice. One thing I noticed during my first game was trying to spread out missile troops like other rules - that is LOS for each fig; while in LR only one fig per unit needs LOS and range. Kind of goes against the grain, but once I got to used to it it's fine and I try to use it to my advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, you're absolutely right. I like Saga and LR and will use my figures for both sets. I'm not much of a competition gamer so for me the fun, fast aspect of LR is attractive. That LOS rule is useful Dean as Bidowers and archers can be half in cover but still shoot. I like how all figures count in an a melee as well.

      Mike

      Delete
  9. Looks great Mike. Your first impression is very promising. Fast, fun, easy historical feel..what more can you wish for?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Mike, yes they have a lot going for them and Saga warbands can be used for the rules as well.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete