All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Friday, 24 July 2015

Hittite Spearmen












Here are a few photos of some Hittite spearmen I've just finished painting. The spearmen are all Miniature Design Studios figures with Foundry command. I really like these figures, they are based on the illustrations in Trevor Bryce's Hittite Warrior Osprey book and have rather mournful or wistful expressions on their faces. I guess a forced march from central Anatolia to southern Syria might do that to you! All the MDS figures are still available on the Minifigs website and they have some great other ancient ranges too, definitely worth checking out. The back drop photo is of reconstructed walls and tower at the ancient Hittite capital of Hatussa (modern Boğazkale or Boğazköy).







21 comments:

  1. Nice Hittites!
    One day, I would enjoy building a Biblical army. One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, Biblical armies are a lot of fun.

      Mike

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous painted Hittite Spearmen indeed - nice back drop too -marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I have quite a few more units of spearmen to finish for my Hittite army.

      Mike

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, MDS have some very nice ancient ranges.

      Mike

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, the Hittites are one of my favourite biblical armies.

      Mike

      Delete
  6. Great work! very impressive, I like what you have done with the shield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, the shields are meant to be cowhide or goat skin.

      Mike

      Delete
  7. I really like these. As always you did a wonderful job taking the picture. Great background photo! Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Karl, visiting Hatussa was one of the highlights of our trip to Turkey, it is an amazing site.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking Hittite's Cyrus. I really should get back into biblical.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, it's definitely a great period to play.

      Mike

      Delete
  10. Love the unit and background. Very like my unit. Great characterful figures from MDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin, the MDS figures are really nice and add a bit of variety and a different take on the appearance of Hittite spearmen.

      Mike

      Delete
  11. Those Hittites are very nice indeed. I really like your basing and I also note how the lighter edge of the base is 'in-keeping' with the figures (as opposed to say a black base). I shall bear this in mind as I continue with 'hot and sandy place' armies.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jason, the sandy coloured bases make a good contrast with the figures, I have all my biblical armies based like this for consistency.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete