All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Ancient Warfare IX.3 and Great War Command and Colours






Last week the latest issue of Ancient Warfare IX.3 - Mighty Rulers of Anatolia: Hittites and their Successors, finally made its way to my mailbox down under. This is a cracking issue with a theme on the Hittite military and is definitely worth getting, if you are at all interested in bronze age warfare:

 http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/pw/ancient-warfare/latest-issue/

I found the articles on the Mitannian horse trainer, Kikkuli; the Hittite war machine 1700 -1200 BC; Hittite defensive structures and the Neo-Hittite kingdoms particularly interesting.






Last Wednesday night, Rick and I met at the Vikings club and played our first game of the Great War board game - the latest incarnation of Richard Borg’s brilliant Command and Colours system, by the Plastic Soldier Company. There is a review of this in the latest issue of Wargames Illustrated, so I won’t go into too many details but suffice to say we both really enjoyed it, though we ran out of time and the game ended in a draw, as we were both reluctant to go over the top! I took a photo of our game, the first introductory scenario, with my iPhone which I’ve posted above.

The Plastic Soldier Company figures are very nice, detailed true 15mm, so I will have a crack at painting these at some stage. The only complaint I have with these figures, shared by many others, is the British infantry are attached by the bayonet to the sprue and with the brittle plastic used it is almost impossible to remove them without a few breakages. The game itself played really well and there are some very helpful cheat sheets and various threads on the Board Game Geek forum that explain in detail how the rules work.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up on the AW Bronze age issue.
    I will give it a look next time I make it to a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Jonathan, it is an excellent issue with some really good articles.

      Mike

      Delete
  2. Another C&C game, I think The Boy will want that

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great War is definitely worth getting Ian and there are plans for further expansion sets.

      Mike

      Delete
  3. You've peaked my interest in the AW article, Mike. Any mention of Troy/Trojan War in it, I wonder? The Great War board game looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an excellent magazine Dean I've been subscribing to it for years and really enjoy every issue. I looked through the back issues:

    http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/pw/ancient-warfare/previous-issues/

    There are issues IV.4 and II.5 covering the end of the bronze age and war in the Near East but nothing specifically on the Trojan War.

    The Great War is a lot of fun.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will need to that AW edition to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely worth getting Colin, it is one of the best issues they have put out.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete