All images and content 2011 - 2017 copyright Satrap Miniatures.

Do not copy or post without permission.

Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Late Romans











Here are a few photos of a foot unit I've just finished painting for my Late Roman army. The figures are by Crusader Miniatures. The LBM shield designs for these fellows are of the Petulantes Seniores an Auxilia Palatina unit. See Luke Ueda-Sarson's excellent website on the Notitia Diginatum for more information on this unit:

http://lukeuedasarson.com/NDpetulantesSeniores.html

Yesterday Sam Mustafa's ancient rules Aurelian was released and I bought and downloaded a copy (pdf only). These look really interesting and focus on the crisis of the Roman Empire in third century AD. I haven't finished reading them yet but they are card driven and may well inspire me too get cracking on my Middle Imperial Roman and Sassanid armies!

Recently I've been reading  Pat Southern and Karen Dixon's book on The Late Roman Army which I'd highly recommend. I also received in the mail yesterday copies of Mary Beard and Tom Holland's respective new books SPQR and Dynasty: the Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar. There is no shortage of reading for the summer here!







12 comments:

  1. Very nice work Cyrus! One cannot have too many Romans!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, that's absolutely right.

      Mike

      Delete
  2. gorgeous looking Roman unit and brush work too! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Phil, it's my first Late Roman unit, so a long way to go!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking Romans Cyrus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They certainly stand out in a crowd with their bright yellow shields, great looking unit Cyrus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, the shield designs are certainly eye catching.

      Mike

      Delete
  6. The yellow/blue shields really make these Romans stand out. Nice!

    Beard's SPQR is on my Wish List so I look forward to reading your impression of the book.

    Mustafa has a new set of rules? I heard it here first! Looking forward to your review of that too.

    You have work to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I've only read one chapter of SPQR but would definitely recommend it. Aurelian does look very interesting.

      Mike

      Delete
  7. Very nice job on these Romans!

    ReplyDelete